Some get stresses for Christmas, others are shaken over New years, but for me(and im sure you all can agree) Thanksgiving is one of the scariest holidays there it. Its is the only mainstream Holiday I can think of completely dedicated to food, and eating. Yes there is the family gathering aspect of it, but thats true for all holidays. The big food day is the big fear day and the big weight day. When our bellies are full to bursting, what are we do?
At my house the big turkey day always start with getting that big old bird ready for its stop in the oven. Shortly following that pies of all kinds are whipped up and thrust in next to the bird. My job has always been to toast one or two loaves of bread, slather each piece with butter and shred them into the big wooden bowl that we have had since I can remember. The food doesn't there, sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, apple pie, chocolate tart, cranberry sauce, gravy, asparagus, butternut squash soup, 2 different stuffings, Mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, bread, and to top it all off that succulent 8lb turkey. All that and possibly more are set atop the table, miraculousness it all fits on the table with the family.
The idea of passing on something is disgraceful. Only one piece of turkey? Its a travesty. No gravy? your sick. With all the family home its nearly impossible to call on Mia to clear your distended belly. By the time the feast is over its almost too late anyway. Its a day of eating, and eat we shall, lest we go under the scrutiny of all our relatives who will no doubt chatter behind our backs at the secret to our miraculous weight, or lack there of.
Guilt soon joins the emotional get together when sweet Grandma Ruthie looks at you through her horn rimmed glasses with those sweet old weathered eyes and asks why you've failed to try her world famous pecan pie. You try and sputter "Im full" but shes already holding out a piece for you in that shaky little old grandma way, and you give in.
Thanksgiving is comparable to torture for people like us. When our daily intake consists of no more then a couple bottles of water and a small meal to avoid suspicion around the house, one day of shear gluttony drives us close to madness. so what are we to do? what are we to do?
I log into my Blogger a couple of weeks ago and most of the Blogs I was following weren't on my dashboard (including yours)- I was, "...what???...." Anways, I didn't delete/stop following you! I'm glad I've found your blog again! :D
ReplyDeleteThanksgiving is just begging us to stuff our faces and give in, but we're not going too! We're going to remain strong and even lose weight over the holidays!! We have so much food out our house, we have to go into the living room to eat! It's ridiculous!! We have turkey, chicken casserole, rolls, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, green beans, mashed potatoes with gravy...and if I start to list all the desserts you might just gag. If I could do Thanksgiving MY way, I would have gaint salad instead with fruit for desser!! I guess turkey day is the one good side to being vegetarian- you're able to say no to most of the food and no one thinks you're weird!
I like what you said, "Our meals consist of a couple of bottles of water and a small meal"...I liked that! If only I could have that strong will power! My plan- only eat fruits and veggies, that way if I do screw up, it won't be too horrible. I'm going to get a lot of exercise a few days before to make up for it and if the holiday goes straight to hades, then I'll fast a day or two after :).
♥
On Thanksgiving I try to give myself a day of not counting. I try not to binge--just eat really small portions of everything so I can enjoy the holiday without raising suspicion, and without totally stuffing my face. I also take over a lot of the cooking, so at least I can make sure a lot of the things are low-ish in fat.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your Thanksgiving!
xoxo